Whether you travel for a recreational or business purpose, you need to keep yourself in the fittest condition. If you work out regularly, your brain can function much better than if you live a sedentary life. Two studies support this claim.
First, the University of British Columbia concluded that aerobic exercises could improve a person’s language ability and memory capacity. Second, a study published by American Physiological Society even claimed further that regular workouts contributed positively to cognitive function. This physically active behavior also helps to prevent dementia.
Traveling to many places surely sounds like a lot of fun, but if you count all the time spent on the plane’s seat, immigration waiting room, hotel room, and other places that make you slouch, you will notice how inactive traveling is. Here are three fitness tips that you can practice to counter all of the unhealthy effects of traveling.
This workout is as simple as it is written. You require nothing but your own body to get sweaty. However, you shall not underestimate the intensity because it is among the toughest travel workouts out there. You must warm up correctly first so that you will not injure yourself.
Here is the beginner set:
1. 20 squats
2. 10 push ups
3. 10 burpees
4. 20 seconds plank
5. 40 jumping jacks
You should not rest between the reps in the set above, and you must pay attention to your knees. If your body is not accustomed to high-impact workouts, then you will be vulnerable to joint dislocation. Try to do three sets continuously, and see if you can continue. If you are running out of breath, then it is a sign for you to stop.
Food Portion Restriction
Practicing a strict diet during a trip is not an option because you may skip the opportunities to eat exotic foods. Nevertheless, that reason must not be your excuse to overeat and end up with a bloated stomach. The solution this problem is food portion restriction.
You are free to eat anything, but you must restrict yourself from getting yourself stuffed. The Japanese people have a specific term for this particular eating habit, “Hara hachi bun me.” It originated from Confucius, and it dictated people to fill only 80% of the stomach’s capacity. It leaves the other 20% for other foods that can balance your health.
For example, you are eating a big chunk of steak, and it manages to fill 80% of your stomach. In that case, you must leave the 20% for veggies and fruits. Keeping balanced nutrients is the key to a healthy diet during travel.
Walk More, Ride Less
“Walk more, and ride less,” should be your primary rule. Walking is a low-impact exercise, yet it bears many benefits to your health. First, this exercise benefits your heart. People who walk more are less likely to suffer from cardiovascular disease.
Second, walking can get you from one place to another. You do not have to walk for miles, of course. What is suggested in this writing, instead, is the habit of using public transportations like the subway trains and buses. These two means will condition you to walk from the station’s gate to the departure point. Taxis, on the other hand, are not recommended. They require the least effort to ride.